- 1. Why does HKU need a new campus?To propel HKU’s continued growth, the University will optimise existing resources to enhance its campuses and facilities. The Pokfield Campus development will be a state-of-the-art campus hub with modernised teaching, learning, residential and sports facilities, offering a top-tier campus meeting the international space norm in the 21st century.
- 2. What is being planned and where will the campus be located?The Pokfield Campus will be at the junction between Pokfulam Road and Pokfield Road. There will be a total of five buildings comprising the new academic building of the HKU Business School, a sports complex, two towers of residences for academic staff and visitors, and an academic complex including innovative learning spaces and a conference centre. Green spaces will connect different parts of the campus.
The new campus is estimated to be completed in three phases from Q3 2023 to Q3 2025.
- 3. How will the new campus enhance the teaching and learning environment?The new academic complex features cutting-edge interactive learning amenities and a flexible layout to offer an enriching campus experience. There will be more open study area in the building to facilitate self-study and discussion. The technology-infused classrooms and auditoriums in the complex are designed to promote cross-discipline collaboration and innovative thinking. Click here for more details.
- 4. What kind of accommodation will be provided at Pokfield Campus?There will be two residential towers provided for academic staff and visitors to the University to meet the increasing demand for short to medium term accommodation. The residence is conveniently located near Pokfield Road and will include shared amenities such as catering and common areas to create an intellectual community in the Pokfield Campus. Click here for more details.
- 5. How will the Pokfield Campus benefit the community?The University aspires to create a campus that achieves sustainable development standards and a healthy green campus that promotes physical and mental well-being. The design and alignment retain visual space and blend into the surrounding landscape. The Pokfield Campus will revitalise the neighbourhood through better pedestrian connections, landscape decoration and enjoyable green spaces.
- 6. What will the sustainable, healthy and smart campus look like?The Pokfield Campus will adhere to local and international green building standards and utilise state-of-the-art technologies and building materials. Through the adoption of sustainable energy, rainwater collection and reuse, greening, healthy building design and technology-rich building management, the project aims at meeting the Sustainable Development Standards of the United Nations. Click here for more details.
- 7. How will the new campus be environmentally friendly?The project strives to achieve energy savings through various means such as maximising natural lighting and using renewable energy. The campus will also adopt the concept of ‘sponge city’ to collect and reuse rainwater. Compaction works will enhance the safety of some natural slopes in the vicinity of the campus.
- 8. How will the construction impact be mitigated?The project will adopt prefabrication to shorten the time required and reduce noise and dust emission. During the construction period, the contractors will be required to adhere to strict requirements in reducing noise, air quality, dust, sewage, construction waste, and adopt necessary traffic arrangements to minimise the impact to the neighbourhood.
- 9. What kind of sports facilities will be available in Pokfield Campus?The new sports complex in Phase 1 is set to be a top-notch, contemporary and multi-function sports centre. It will offer a wide variety of amenities including an indoor swimming pool, a spacious multi-purpose sports hall, a modern fitness and wellness centre and many other facilities. The complex will meet 21st century standards for sports and recreation, catering to the needs of well-being and healthy lifestyle of students, staff and visitors. Click here for more details.
- 10. When will the construction be completed?The new academic building of the HKU Business School and the sports complex are estimated to complete in Q3 2023. The two residential towers for academic staff and visitors are estimated to complete in Q1 2024. The interactive learning space and academic complex of Phase 3 are set to be functional by Q3 2025.
- 11. How can I submit my views?
- 12. How can I support the Pokfield Campus Development?